The Reichel-Gässel (today Marktgässchen)

The Reichelgässel and the Oberer Markt on a townscape by Wilhelm Petzold from 1884. One can clearly see the road junction on the right behind the original town hall, the so-called „Altes Amtsgericht“ (old local court).
(Appendix of the Hellriegel-chronicle from 1913)

 

Reichelgässel is the former designation of today’s Marktgässchen, which was officially called „Reichelgäßchen“ from 1896 to 1903.

Christian Reichel (born in 1631 in Graslitz, died in 1697 in Markneukirchen), initiator and first head of the guild of violin makers, founded in 1677, is established as the landlord in 1681. Another five generations of his family lived in the corner houses towards the marketplace until 1891.

The folksy name “Reichel-Gässel” is a reminiscence to the father of the Markneukirchen guild of violin makers and the most comprehensive and oldest dynasty of violin makers of the Saxon Vogtland with its more than 60 masters.

More information can be found here: Weller, Enrico: Das Reichel-Gässel – Der einstige Name des heutigen Marktgässchens, in: Neikirnger Heimatbote 20. 1 (Juni 2013), S. 29-36.

 

Eines der ersten Markneukirchener Celli, 
gebaut nach 1780 im Reichelgässel 
von Johann Adam Reichel (1715-1794)
Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung Preußischer Kulturbesitz. 
Musikinstrumenten-Museum Berlin, Inventarnr. 4168 
(Foto vom SIM SPK MIM Berlin)